There are two types of different equipment. The cardio and the weights. The cardio section is made up of treadmills, bicycles, and elliptical trainers. These types of equipment usually encourage you to run or walk, thus getting your heart rate up. Cardio is incredibly good for your heart, as well as for burning fat. If it’s fat that you want to lose, then you should make sure that you get a good cardio session in at least three times a week.
The weights room is a bit different, as there is a lot of equipment that is targeted towards the different parts of the body. Here are some of the basics:
- Barbells. This type of weight consists of a long bar in the middle, with weight plates on the two opposing ends. Weight plates can be added or subtracted.
- Dumbbells. These are smaller versions of barbells that can be held in separate hands. These are a set weight, but you get sets of differently weighted dumbbells.
- Weight plates. These go on the ends of barbells, as well as squat bars. They can however be used independently in certain specialized weight exercises.
- Benches. There are different benches for different exercises, you get abdominal benches, and weight benches. The weight benches are there so that you can use different weights while being in different positions.
- Stability balls. These come in the form of big Pilates balls that are also great for doing a number of other exercises. They can be used to do light weighted sit ups, push-ups and tricep dips.
So now that you know what some of the various types of gym equipment is, you should not be afraid to make sure that you get into the weights room and use it. You will build muscle tone much quicker than if you just do cardio.